You might think you’re here for a recipe, but no; you are here to bet set free. Free from the chains of guilt. The guilt of using prepackaged puff pastry. If you don’t carry this guilt then you were raised well. Mazel T
Puff Pastry is layers of dough that’s folded over butter repeatedly to create layers. When the dough is cooked, the butter evaporates and creates steam. That steam makes the crisp buttery layers of dough. Simple.
Danish pastry is much the same, but the dough has yeast and there’s a LOT more butter. The principal is same; dough that’s folded. I’ve done it three times. It’s time-consuming. Danish can literally take 8 hours. If you like making your own Danish dough, you probably also like bonsai trees, hand weaving, you make your own sourdough starter and hoover your skirting board religiously. That is not me. SO, if that does sound like you, then follow my danish recipe here. If that isn’t you, then substitute in a good quality puff pastry. If any of your friends notice the difference, enquire about the condition of their skirting boards. You’d be surprised.
- 425g Bells Puff Pastry
- 25g of butter
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 80g Dark Chocolate
- 65g chopped pistachios (this is a guide)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
65g chopped pecans (literally ignore this and add as many pecans as you can fit in)
Pre-heatyour oven to 220 degrees
- Roll out your puff pastry till its approximately 5mm thick. If you roll it too thin, you’ll mix the butter and dough layers.
- Taking 25g of soft butter, gently coat the entire surface area of the dough.
- Sprinkle over your brown sugar, covering as much of the dough as possible. You may want to trim the ends after you roll your dough, so
dontfeel you have to go right over the end with sugar.
- Cover with your desired filling and roll-up.
- If you want to eat that evening, place in the fridge for 15 minutes. However – these pastries are best prepared the night before; perfect for brunches, breakfasts or hangovers.
- Place your danish on a lined baking sheet before popping in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.