I know I said I would never make cinnamon buns again after my triumphant entrance into the world of babka. However, the arrival of some animal loving guests led to reaching for a tried and tested vegan cinnamon buns. I haven’t tried vegan babka, so please send me recipes if you have one.
Please note this recipe is filed under “breakfast” and “treats”. That is not a mistake.
- 480ml Oat Milk at room temperature
- 115g vegan butter , melted
- 50 g demerara sugar
- 7g active dry yeast
- 690g cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 170g vegan butter
- 165g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 120g of pecans, chopped
- Frosting of your choice (coconut Caramel, vanilla and lemon all work)
- 120g of pecans, whole
- Generously rub a wide square pan with vegan butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oat milk, melted butter, and sugar. The mixture should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let set for 1 minute.
- Add flour, reserving 95g, and 1 teaspoon of salt to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size.
- Remove the towel and add an additional 95g of flour and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about ½-inch thick. Fix corners to make sure they are sharp and even.
- Spread the softened vegan butter evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar, cinnamon and copped pecans.
- Roll up the dough, forming a log, and pinch the seam closed. Place seam-side down. Trim off any unevenness on either end.
- Cut the log in half, then divide each half into 7 evenly sized pieces. About 1½ inches (8 cm) thick each.
- Place 7 cinnamon rolls in each cake pan, one in the center, six around the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bake the cinnamon rolls in a preheated oven at 180˚C for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting. Sprinkle with whole pecans.