From BBC Food
Makes 6 and no more
Cheese scone fans are an avid bunch. Master a cheese scone and they will give you their first born.
225g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
25g/1oz mature Cheddar, grated
150ml/5fl oz milk
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the cheese and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12–15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.