From Country Living
This is a showstopper. It’s actually a really easy bake and the payoff is impressive. It’s incredibly rich, so I’d serve it with some extra strawberries on the side. Don’t skimp on the chocolate quality; Cheap white chocolate will turn your filling yellow. Be careful not to overwhip your cream – you want it to match the consistency of your mascarpone.
- 225 g plain flour
- 100 g cold, unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 Large egg, beaten
- 250 g mascarpone
- 200 g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 150 ml Double cream
- fresh strawberries for decoration
- Sift the flour into a food processor with a pinch of salt. Add the butter and blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Tip the mixture into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar and enough egg until the mixture forms clumps. Bring the mixture together with your hands and knead on a lightly floured worktop – don’t overwork or the pastry will become tough. Flatten into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured worktop to a thickness of 3mm, then press into the base and sides of a deep 20cm tart tin. Prick the base with a fork. I always put my doughs into the freezer until ready to bake.
- Heat the oven to 190°C. Cover the base and sides of the pastry with a circle of crumpled baking parchment and baking beans. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the pastry has set. Remove the beans and parchment and continue baking for 5-10 minutes until the pastry is dry and sandy to the touch. Cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- Melt the mascarpone and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Don’t stir until it’s all melted or the mixture will ‘clump’. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Lightly whip the cream until it matches the consistency of the mascarpone. Gently fold the cream into the mascarpone a few spoonfuls at a time. Pour into the pastry case and chill until firm (overnight). Get creative with the strawberries and hazelnuts to serve.