This recipe was developed from an old Be-Ro recipe by my Granny G.
Part 1 – The Walnut Sponges
- 4oz marg
- 3oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 6oz SR flour
- 2 – 4oz walnuts
- Cream together marg sugar and golden syrup until light and creamy.
- Beat in an egg, gradually adding the flour, along with the milk and nuts, mixing well.
- Pour into a lined and greased 7 inch tin; two 6 inch sandwich tins work as well. Bake in a moderate oven of 180 degrees centigrade for 40 – 45 minutes (Although 20 minutes, if you’re using sandwixh tins)
Part 2 – Fudge Icing
- 2oz butter
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp syrup
- 2oz walnuts
- 8oz icing sugar
- Melt together butter, milk, syrup and sugar in a pan
- Beat in icing sugar and pour into a bowl to cool
- sandwich and decorate cake with icing and halved walnuts