Wild garlic is in season for around 4 minutes. It’s a great 4 minutes and pesto is a great way to make the most of it. Also; this is pesto is vegan and therefore also saves the planet. As a carnivore, you don’t miss the pamesan.
If you’re making a pesto for fish, go wild with the lemon. It packs a punch, so I would tame the flavour with a base sauce. I want to suggest chicken and mozzerella as an amazing pairing for this recipe.
- 100g Pumpkin seeds
- 200g wild garlic (or two handfulls from a full sized man)
- All of the olive oil
- Sea Salt & pepper
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- In a dry heavy bottom frying pan, toast the pumpkin seeds. The seeds will brown and start to pop.
- Place the seeds in a food processor and add the wild garlic leaves. Blitz until mulched.
- With the food processor on, slowly stream in your olive oil. There is no measurement for olive oil because
it’s an unknowable scienceit’s the chef’s choice. I keep a thick sauce in the fridge to add a garlic punch to sauces. For a traditional drizzing pesto, keep that olive oil pouring.
- Taste it, try it, season it, add that lemon juice, a splash more olive oil? Why not. #chefschoice