This recipe was developed during episode 2 of “Family Recipes.” The soft caramel makes this a perfect tray bake dessert. Although this recipe calls for you to make your own caramel, you can of course use a tin.
- 6oz plain flour
- 4oz butter
- 2oz sugar
200g of hazelnuts
- 402g sugar
- 158ml water
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 170g chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 158ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp. Sea salt flakes
- Pre heat oven to 170 Degrees,
- Rub 4 oz butter into 6oz flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Stir in 3oz sugar and knead lightly
- Roll it out or press it into a tray
- Bake until golden brown and allow to cool
- Blanche hazelnuts in a dry skillet over a medium heat. When they begin to brown and smelling toasted, remove from the heat and place in a bowl to cool.
- Add sugar, cream of tartar and water to a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Use a heat proof spatula to help stir the sugar until dissolved. Once dissolved, only swirl the pan and if you see any sugar crystals around the side of the pot, dab with a wet brush.
- Watch this saucepan carefully and remove with the mixture turns golden and whisps of smoke begin to rise.
- With the caramel off the head and immediately begin adding the chilled butter. The sugar mixture will sputter, so be careful.
- Add the cream gradually and stir in your salt
- Transfer the caramel to a heatproof jug and allow to cool to a thick pouring consistency.
- Add the blanches hazlenuts to the caramel and layer on the cooled shortbread.