Part 1 – Sponge
- 4oz Marg
- 4oz caster sugar
- 2 dessertspoon honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp mlk
- 5oz Self-Raising flour
- Grease and flour 6 inch cake tins and preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- add hot water to a mixing bowl to heat it up, before emptying out
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl and whisk on medium to high speed speed for 3 minutes until light and pale.
- Add the batter to the cake tin and bake for 10 minutes, until golden.
Part 2 – Lemon Italian Meringue
- 200g of caster sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 50g of water
- 100g of egg white
- Rub the lemon zest into the sugar
- Put the sugar and water into a small saucepan over a medium heat with a thermometer resting in the liquid
- Start to slowly whisk the egg whites either in a stand mixer or with a hand-held electric whisk until just starting to foam
- Heat the sugar until it reaches 121°C then slowly pour into the egg whites whilst still whisking
- Turn the whisk up to full speed and whisk until cooled to room temperature – the meringue is now ready to use.
Part 3 – constructing the cake
Sandwich the cake with bramble jam (or whatever jam you have to hand!) before covering in the Italian meringue. use the back of a spoon or an offset spatula to create texture in the meringue. Finish the cake off with a blowtorch and some fresh brambles or whatever fruit is in your jam.