Another pan sear ergo
- 3 lemons
Smallhandful of chives
- 12 large dry sea scallops
- Black Pudding
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
- Cut 2 lemons in half and squeeze
juiceinto a measuring glass or small bowl; you should have ¼ cup juice. Set aside. Using a paring knife, cut ends off remaining lemon to expose flesh. Upend lemon on a cut end and remove peel and white pith from lemons; discard. Cut between membranes to release segments into bowlwith juice; squeeze membranes to get any last drops of juice. Fish out any seeds; set aside. Thinly slice chives and place in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pull side muscle off scallops, if needed; pat dry. Season lightly on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large stainless steel skillet, preferably stainless steel, over medium-high. Pour in oil to lightly coat surface (2–3 Tbsp.); heat until it shimmers and you see first wisps of smoke. Swiftly place scallops into
skillet, flat side down, and cook without touching, tossing, or fussing until underside is deep golden brown, 3–4 minutes. Use a thin spatula or tongs to gently turn over; if they resist, cook another 30 seconds and try again. As the scallops shrink you will be able to fit in the black pudding. If they don’t you can grill them separately.
- Cook on
secondside until flesh at top and bottom looks opaque but there is still a faintly translucent strip in the middle, 1–2 minutes, depending on size. Transfer scallops to a plate.
- Pour off any oil in
and set over medium heat. Add butter and cook, swirling, until butter foams, then browns, about 2 minutes. Add reserved lemon juice and segments; energetically stir and swirl skillet to emulsify pan . Mix in capers and reserved chives. sauce
- Plate black pudding and then scallops on top before draping over the sauce
grenobloise. A light watercress or pea shoot salad works great. Tear sheetsof procuittoand grill for a delicious savoury crunch.