I found this recipe in a family cook book passed down from my mum’s mum. It’s a fantastic and easy fruit scones recipe that takes about 20 minutes in total to make.
- 8oz Self-Raising Flour
- 1oz Sugar
- 1oz Sultanas
- 2oz Margarine
- 1 cup of cold milk
- Preheat oven to 220, or 200 in a fan-assisted oven.
- Combine self-raising flour with sugar.
- add margarine, straight from the fridge, and rub the marg into the flour with your fingertips until you have fine breadcrumbs, with no big lumps.
- add sultanas and toss in the flour mixture
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk. mix briefly before turning out onto a floured work surface.
- There will be wet spots in the dough; don’t panic. Fold the dough over itself a few times. Shape into a 1 inch tall disc and cut out your scones. You’ll get about 6 scones out the mixture in total, but probably only 3 out the first punch out. Bring the dough back together with the sides of your hands and repeat.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk and place in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.